Rehabilitation and Enhancements to Runway 10/28 and Associated taxiways
Runway 10-28 at Dublin Airport was constructed in 1989. Since opening, this runway has accounted for approximately 85% of all aircraft traffic landing/departing in Ireland. In late 2015 the DAA decided that this runway in addition to other critical assets associated with the runways operation needed to be upgraded in order to future proof this critical national infrastructure for the next 15 to 20 years. The DAA decided to procure a design and build Contractor to deliver the full scope of the scheduled works.
Clare Civil in conjunction with Lagan Aviation were chosen as preferred bidder (50/50 partnership) in early 2016 to deliver these works.
The primary elements of the works entailed the following:
- • The structural overlay of Runway 10/28 to guarantee a 15 year design life with minimum life to first maintenance of 10 years
- • Modifications and improvements to existing drainage channels including raising/replacing gullies to tie-into new pavement levels
- • The removal and re-installation of new inset AGL fittings to overlay to maintain compliant CAT I at both ends and CAT III operations at one end outside working hours for the duration of the project (1000 No. Runway Light fittings)
- • The installation of new civil infrastructure including AGL fitting bases for AGL elevated light fittings, electrical pits and ducting. (1000 new F900 Loading Manhole Chambers and 30km ducting)
- • Upgrade of 2 No existing substations including retrofitting with state of the art fire suppression systems
These works were undertaken during night time possessions (11pm to 05:30am) over an 18 month period. The runway was handed back each morning to the DAA for daily flight operations.
The successful delivery of this project was achieved through detailed planning of all activities. The project was undertaken on Ireland’s most critical infrastructural asset on time safely through collaborative engagement with the client and its multiple stakeholders.
Please go to the following link for overview of the project works
- LocationDublin Airport
- ClientDAA plc
- Client's RepresentativeCH2MHILL
- Contractor’s DesignerRPS/Burksgreen
- Project DurationJanuary 2017 to May 2018